Wild Game Recipe: Schnitzel
If you’ve ever had pork Schnitzel, you’ll understand the love for a great wild game Schnitzel. Schnitzel is an Austrian inspired dish that has certainly spread in popularity. Inspired by a recent pork Schnitzel experience we were determined to create a wonderful wild game schnitzel for y’all to enjoy.
What you need:
· 2lb wild game (tough steak, round, or shoulder)
· 1 ½ C. flour
· 2-3 C. breadcrumbs
· ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
· Salt & pepper to taste
· 3 eggs – beaten
· 5 Tbsp. oil
1. Tenderize your cut of meat. Each piece of meat should end up being about ¼ inch think.
2. Pour ~ 2 Tbsp. oil into a large shallow pan on medium high heat.
3. Combine your flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Put this mixture on a plate or shallow dish. Add eggs and breadcrumbs to their own shallow dishes. Dredge you tenderized meat in the following order: flour mix, egg, breadcrumbs.
4. Once the meat has been battered add to the frying pan and fry for about 3-4 minutes per side, until the crust is golden and crispy. Once complete place on a plate with a paper towel, to absorb excess oils.
5. Change oil about halfway through your frying, this will eliminate the meat burning.
6. Serve with mashed potatoes, green beans, beer, and garnish with lemon and capers.
Enjoy! For more wild game recipes visit huntwyo.com.